Saturday, October 16, 2010

A dream of Rhinebeck

Three years ago I discovered podcasts and became obsessed with knitting podcasts specifically. I would listen to them in the car, on the threadmill, and while I cleaned the house. During one of those threadmill walks, I was listening to a podcast by 3 sisters in New England and their trip to Rhinebeck. Sorry I don't remember the name of the podcast but the point is that it was during that walk on that threadmill listening to that podcasts that I discovered the knitter's mecca - the Dutchess County Sheep and Wool Festival in Rhinebeck, New York.

This weekend is the Rhinebeck Festival and I have secretly wished I could be there. A few weeks back someone in the Sit n' Stitch at the Main Library asked if another person in the group was going to Rhinebeck this year. The other knitter responded that she was skipping this year. Then several other knitters piped in that they had been in the past but weren't going this year. Arkansans are going all the way to New York State for a sheep and wool festival even if it is THE sheep and wool festival. This is awesome and amazing. As a Southerner, I have been to New York City but I've never been north of Westchester County. So I will dream of one day going to the legendary Dutchess County Sheep and Wool Festival in Rhinebeck, NY; of seeing the fall leaves of New England; and of spending what little I have in a retirement nest egg on yarn - lots and lots of yarn.

No comments:

Post a Comment