Sunday, October 24, 2010

Arkansas State Fair

I have been meaning to post this for 2 weeks now. But late than never, right?

Well, my husband and I went to the State Fair this year. I've been many times in the past but this was his first Arkansas State Fair (he's from Tennessee). We went with a friend and we went during the free admission/free parking. I don't remember the fair doing this in the past but on week days from 11 am to 1 pm there was free admission and free parking. Have lunch at the Fair is the idea.

So we did and yes, we ate some weird stuff. Between the 3 of us we ate corndogs, gyros, deep fried Coca-Cola, beef on a stick, pickles, chocolate-dipped bacon, caramel apple, and deep fried Hershey's kisses.

This is what chocolate-dipped bacon looks like... And once you get passed the look, it is not so bad. Think salty and sweet together.

Pig Lickers aka chocolate-dipped bacon

And deep fried Coca-Cola is just fried funnel cake dough with Coke poured over it and a little (or a lot) of whipped cream on top.

Deep fried Coca-Cola
We also went to the Arts & Crafts Building (disappointment) and the Livestock barns (bigger disappointment). I had never been to the Arts & Crafts Building and there was a lot to see but I guess I expected more vendors selling yarn or roving, homemade preserves, or quilts. There was a soapmaker and he was selling his wares. The lots to see were the items that won prizes for various categories. As a city girl, I've only been to a county fair once and it has never dawned on me that you could enter your knitting or crocheting or photography or preserves in the State Fair. It was cool. I think I'm going to see about getting my knitting friends to enter some stuff next year.

The Livestock Barns were a big disappointment. I think we saw a total of 4 animals in the Cattle, Poultry, Goat/Sheep and Swine Barns. I guess since it was the first Monday of the fair nobody had arrived yet. But we did see some funny signage.

These are new signs that I haven't seen in the past. Was this a problem????

This is the Swine Barn. In front of the Swine Barn (on the right of the picture) is the Pork Chop Shop. I kid you not - they sell pork to eat right in front of the Swine Barn. No surprise for those pigs.
Then finally I got to see some fiber animals in the Petting Area. They had goats and sheep although the sheep were Mutton Sheep and not fiber sheep and then there was a llama and a Scottish long haired calf.


All in all a good day was had by all. Next year we will go on a day when more animals are in residence!

No comments:

Post a Comment