Saturday, June 25, 2011

Baltimore

I has taken a while for me to finish the series of posts about our trip to DC but here is the one for Baltimore.

On Saturday evening, we took the train up to Baltimore for dinner and a walk around the Inner Harbor. DH is a huge train fan and after a day of walking and going to yarn shops with me, I thought the least we could do was hop a train somewhere. We thought about going all the way to Philly but it would have required an earlier departure time and neither of us wanted to give up more time in DC.

We went straight from Penn Station to McCormick & Schmick's. Our reservation was for 7 pm and we got there about 30 minutes early so we walked over the Seven Foot Lighthouse. There was a wedding going on in the park and that was interesting to watch. I sat in the grass while DH climbed up the lighthouse for a look around. I was amazed at the number of language I heard from passersby. At least one Asian language, 2 or more Eastern European/Russian languages, and I think a little Italian. Fascinating!!!

Dinner was wonderful! We started off by telling our waiter that we were without our child that night and that we were very fast eaters so we wanted to have a slow dinner experience. So we ordered an appetizer - Lump Crab Cake, what else!?!?! - and didn't order our entrees until after we finished the appetizer. I had Sea Scallops and DH had Mahi Mahi. The scallops melted in my mouth (as they should) and they were paired with a divine lemony, buttery cream sauce. Then dessert - why not? I had mixed berries with cream. I know it is a simple dessert but I'm always excited to see it on a dessert menu because I just love it. DH had a Profiterole. What is a Profiterole you ask??? It is a flaky pastry roll, dipped in chocolate and fill with vanilla bean ice cream and served with berries.

After that dinner we needed a walk. Actually we needed to run for miles but walking was all we were going to do. DH wanted to see the USS Constellation so we strolled over to where it was docked. On the way, we passed the Aquarium. Apparently the folks in Chattanooga hired the same firm because they look identical and I think that the Baltimore Aquarium was built first. There is also a Coast Guard ship, the USCGC Taney, which is the last surviving warship of Pearl Harbor.  We had a wonderful time and then it was back to Penn Station and back to DC.

No comments:

Post a Comment